- American Hardwood Export Council
The Project consisted of the demolition of a timber structure known as ‘The Smile’ a project for the London Design Festival located at Chelsea College of Arts Rootstein Hopkins Parade Ground.
The programme was extremely short due to the upcoming Festival of Art. As the structure was located within the main parade ground, the cobbled stones required protecting, so we installed rubber track matting that was then covered with plywood sheeting to act as additional protection. This allowed the non-destructive movement of heavy machinery during the demolition process.
Scope of Works at The Smile
- Site establishment
- Mobilisation of plant and equipment
- Demolition of the timber structure using a 30 tonne excavator
- The shape of the structure required the demolition to be carried out in equal sections to both ends to prevent a premature collapse
- The close proximity of the general public in a busy courtyard space required a watching brief from the demolition operatives